How can we improve group travel planning?
Problem: It can take people weeks to plan a vacation together.
Solution: Groupava is a group travel planning app that helps people find a time, place, and budget that works for everyone.
How I worked on this bootcamp project July to December 2019.
It's too time-consuming to plan group vacations.
From the survey and interviews, I found that it’s very stressful to find a time that works for everyone. Also, people want to keep their options open.
Tools, pain points, and good parts
Two types of users
One loves to plan, and the other doesn't.
- Takes several trips a year
- Keep everyone in the loop
- Knows prices upfront
- So many sites now to plan travel
- Needs to edit or delete info
- People are indecisive or take a while to respond
- Take 1-2 trips a year
- Keep options open
- Doesn’t want to spend a lot of money
- Doesn’t know how much money he spent
- Has trouble agreeing on what to do
How to create a new trip
Sketches to get initial feedback on the UX flow
I did some guerilla testing of creating a new trip, and a voting process.
1. Each step of creating a trip is on a separate screen
2. People can vote for the options or add new ones
3. Once voting closes, the app shows the options with the most votes
What is this app for?
From the guerilla testing, some things were unclear, so I revised these in the wireframes.
Specific to group travel
In the initial sketch, the home screen didn't mention a group trip, so I revised the headline.
What do I do here?
I added a description to explain what to do on the screen.
Clearing up confusion
There were a few issues that came up from usability testing that I addressed:
1. Changed the copy to explain why there is more than one location selected
2. Added a button to make it clear where to view votes
3. Keep the ability for the admin to edit the trip after they vote
The journey is different for everyone
How I can improve this app in the future.
One size doesn't fit all
People might have a destination in mind already and need help with the budget and timing.
Make it understable
Usability testing helped me find what was unclear.
People want ideas for activities to do while they're on their trip. This is a piece that can come in a future iteration.